It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

japomani 
Post japomani
I haven't had the chance to really run this through the paces, but I noticed right away that when sorting by tags, items with no tags sort to the top, I would prefer to sort them to the bottom like toodledo does. I have a, b, c tags and sorting them by tags places them in order of urgency for me, having non tagged items sort to the top kind of defeats the purpose.

Here is my wish list:
- Move unsorted items to the bottom of the sort list
- Add headers for sorted lists (see mock ups)
- Make sure due dates on repeating events are updating well - I haven't checked to see if this one is done yet

Tue May 11, 2010 12:11 am

Post Toodler Beta 0.4.13 feedback
I like the changes over 4.10. I had a scrolling issue in 4.12, but that appears to be resolved in 4.13.

A folder does not exist for items that have no folder (ie. "No Folder" in Toodledo) when in folder view.

Would like to see a header that tells the view (insteald of "xxx tasks are hidden..."). For example "Folders - Shopping".

In the View and Choice buttons, would like to see a checkmark next to the currently selected view and choice.

Thanks.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:42 am
Post Feedback to 4.12
This is really getting great!

Amen to Bean's comments

Had more time to look at things, here are some more wish list items.

In the task info scene, could you move the due date dialogue up before the scroll, maybe before the tag, I change the settings on this more often than the other settings.

If possible, can we get a date picker that shows a whole month at a time, like toodledo. When resetting a task date, I often like to see the day of the week I am shooting to.

There is a pretty significant bug with how repeating tasks are handled. I haven't been able to figure it out exactly but, try setting a daily repeating task, from completion, then check it off and sync, it comes back on the same day with out repeating. Let me know if you need more feedback on this one.

One other piece of feedback, it seemed like checking a task button off was a bit smoother before, it disappeared rather than refreshed the page. Maybe I am remembering that wrong. I wonder if you could use some css and innerHTML to update/hide tasks, rather than refresh the page. Would feel cleaner.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 am
Post Re: japomani
One challenge with the UI is that the buttons for webOS are so big, to be finger friendly. In palm OS days, it was not uncommon to see "stacks" of controls, showing the most common controls by default but switching out with a second set of controls when the user wanted to do something different.

I have created some mock ups of how this might work for toodler below. These are pretty ugly, I don't have time to make them look nice right now, but they will give you the idea. You'll have to use you imagination.

What do you think?

Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 pm
This keeps the main screen pretty clean, but gives access to "sync now", "Save View", "Sort", and "Filter" by clicking the "Down" arrow, and then pressing the "up" arrow to see the default controls ("new task", "View", and "Selection")

I personally don't like to use the drop down menu to do common stuff because that button is not all that easy to hit, and cognitive load of choosing my desired task from the drop down list is more difficult than hitting a labeled button, even though they are the same number of clicks.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Wow, tons of great suggestions here!

@japomani: First of all, I haven't forgotten about the dividers, and they are working in my test version, but have some bugs for certain views that I will try to clean up before an update tonight.

@japomani: On moving usorted items to the end of the list, you mean moving tasks with no folder/tag/etc to the end of the list when sorting by folder/tag/etc -like what beans said? I agree - will work on that.

@beans - I like your suggestion on the header showing what category you're in rather than the tasks hidden.

@beans: Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to include "no folder/context/goal/etc" in the menus. I'll fix that.

@beans: I like the idea of a checkmark in the view/choice popups. I think it is easy to do, but not sure. I'll look into it.

@japomani: I will move the duedate dialog up and the tag dialog up. How about: duedate, startdate, repeat (all checkboxes unless selected, then priority/status/folder/context/goal, then tag, and note?

@japomani: I agree that a better date picker would be nice. However, palm doesn't provide one that I know of (even in the built in calendar app, changing a date uses the same picker I use. I don't think I have the time/skill to write one right now, but if I could find code online from someone who has, I'd include it.

@japomani: On repeating tasks - what you're seeing may not be a bug. If the task is set to repeat daily (from completion date), then when you complete the task and sync, a new task will show up with the same due date (tomorrow) because a day after the day of completion (today) is tomorrow. Try changing the repeat to "from duedate" or change the duedate so that it is not tomorrow and you should see the date change after a sync. If not, let me know. (The reason a sync is required before the new task shows up is that I think handling rescheduling for the advanced types of repeats would be tough and since Toodledo does it for you I'd like to let them do the rescheduling. )

@japomani: I agree on checking off a task. It always reloaded the list, but you couldn't tell before because I didn't have a "loading..." indicator like I do now. I'll set it not to show the loading indicator when only refreshing due to completing a task, which should fix the issue.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm

I wanted to save japomani's last idea for a separate post to ensure it gets attention. What do others think about the idea of two sets of buttons? I like it, but it's not something that is done in other apps, and it might not be intuitive unless you explain it to someone.

Another option would be to have a header at the top of the page with a few of the buttons. That way some buttons would be on top, and some on bottom. Beans suggestions showing Context -> Home at the top - I could make those buttons (they would have the same functionality as the view/choice buttons now) , which would free up space at the bottom. Thoughts?

Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm

ethan wrote:
I wanted to save japomani's last idea for a separate post to ensure it gets attention. What do others think about the idea of two sets of buttons? I like it, but it's not something that is done in other apps, and it might not be intuitive unless you explain it to someone.

Another option would be to have a header at the top of the page with a few of the buttons. That way some buttons would be on top, and some on bottom. Beans suggestions showing Context -> Home at the top - I could make those buttons (they would have the same functionality as the view/choice buttons now) , which would free up space at the bottom. Thoughts?

To be honest, I'm not very keen on two sets of buttons. I really don't think I need access to sync now, sort, or filter as seperate buttons. I think the most important quick buttons would be:

1) Add a task

2) Navigate to a specific place

3) Sort

I think these can be done with one set of buttons that are persistant. However, whether the current style of buttons are two big is another matter. I'm not sure how much flexibilty there is with text size on these, but the other option would be to represent them graphically instead of as standard text buttons. Add a task is easy enough with just a plus, navigate could be done with two buttons, one of a folder, and one of a (highlighted) folder coming out from under a larger folder one, indicating it is a subitem. Sort could be as easy as an image of an A and Z with an arrow.

In general I'd rather keep all the buttons in one place, whether at the bottom or top, but I do like the idea of having the View/SubView act as both a header and buttons. I think this was also the idea of dynamically changing the button text in that other thread. So if that can be done, that would be fine, although it might not leave much room for other buttons (like sort, and add), even if they were relatively small...

Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Well,

Now I am an official member of the boards!

Regarding date picker, my understanding is that any date picker using the prototype framework will work in mojo. In fact, a date picker from any javascript framework (or any component from that matter) is supposed to work. That is supposed to be one of the advantages to webOS.

Anyone know any better on this?

Quote:
I will move the duedate dialog up and the tag dialog up. How about: duedate, startdate, repeat (all checkboxes unless selected, then priority/status/folder/context/goal, then tag, and note?

Sounds good

Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 pm

For this app to be a commercial success, it will need to be very intuitive to use. I think the "up" and "down" menus are easier "right out the gate" than sifting through a long menu list to find key functionality, functionality that sets it apart from competitors, jumbled in with links for help, editing, about, etc.

I don't think it is necessarily the best option, just better than the current.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 pm