It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

japomani 

Post Re: japomani
Let me just throw this thought into the mix.

For this app to be a commercial success, it will need to be very intuitive to use. I think the "up" and "down" menus are easier "right out the gate" than sifting through a long menu list to find key functionality, functionality that sets it apart from competitors, jumbled in with links for help, editing, about, etc.

This is not necessarily the best option, but it is a better option.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm

I got to looking at the UI again and thinking about the expanding view buttons. There really isn't that much space there for them to grow, much easier to code would probably be just setting them a fixed width that optimized the space and truncating text if necessary. Maybe you could add an ellipses (...) to show it is truncated, but that would take space. Ascii ellipsis is a bit smaller than just three periods. Try … or …

Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 am

@dvdmon

Quote:
I think the most important quick buttons would be:

1) Add a task

2) Navigate to a specific place

3) Sort

do you really change the sort all that often? After setting it the first time (tags, then priority) I never change it again.

I think conceptually it is similar to filters and should be kept together, but my feelings are not too strong here.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:22 am

japomani wrote:
@dvdmon

do you really change the sort all that often? After setting it the first time (tags, then priority) I never change it again.

I think conceptually it is similar to filters and should be kept together, but my feelings are not too strong here.

Well, here's the thing that it's useful for (for me - could be this is very odd compared to how most would use it). In GTD, you are supposed to use time length as well as energy level needed to complete something as determiners of what to do next. There's a third criteria, but it's really to squishy to quantify in a system like this. Anyway, you might have just 30 minutes one day to get some stuff done, and so (all other things being equal) you want to maximize the number of things by sorting by time length (currently that's not available but hopefully soon). And say you have lots of energy when you start out, so the energy needed to do these things is not really important in making a decision about what to do first. But then say a couple of hours later, some more time opens up, a much bigger amount, say a couple of hours, but by then you're getting a bit tired and so energy is more of a factor, so you want to get the easy (energy-wise) things out of the way first before tackling things that take more mental/physical energy.

Anyway, that's why I figure sorting might be a good thing to have quick access to, but in the scheme of things it's probably not on par with the others...

Wed May 12, 2010 10:37 am

Sounds reasonable to me, if it is something you do often and helps you be more productive.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:46 am