It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

4.7 feedback 
Post Re: 4.7 feedback
Beans,

I agree the current version is not as easy to get around in. I think Ethan is part way through some changes. I didn't think the previous design (which mirrors the slim interface for toodledo) was that easy to use because I had to swipe through two screens before I could ever see a task. Then swipe back two screens and then forward two screens again to change the view.

What do you think of the proposed UI mocked up above?

The View and Tab buttons expose pop ups that replace the lists of folders, making them available on every page, without requiring one or two back swipes and then one or two click forwards to change to a different view and tab.

This is more consistent with how it is done on the toodledo main web site UI. If you look there, on the top of every page is a list of views and tabs to select from. Switching views means just selecting a view from the list and/or a different tab. Just below the tabs on every page are also tools for sorting and filtering.

I am proposing the same thing for toodler except, due to space restrictions, placing the list of views and tabs in pop up boxes on every page, next to the sorting and filter buttons. That would make it very easy to jump around to different folders and views and refine the view with sorts and filters if necessary.

Four methods for changing which tasks are displayed == four buttons to control them.

Sat May 01, 2010 9:16 am

I definitely like the view/tab hot buttons at the bottom. Very quick access to all your custom views and various standard "views" (or I guess in this case called "tabs" - ie contexts/folders/etc.).

I also agree that the X tasks hidden text at the top is something that isn't useful for me. Mainly I'm in views anyway. Maybe a better solution would be to change the color of the background when filters (non-custom-view) are hiding things? That way if someone has accidentally applied filters but then forgets to unapply them, they will know but no screen real estate is used up? Just a thought, I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

In .10, is anyone else having problems activating the menu options? Only the load/save views menu options are working for me, none of the others are right now...

Sat May 01, 2010 1:37 pm
I think I had that problem until I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Hope that helps.

Sat May 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Japomani,

Japomani wrote:
... What do you think of the proposed UI mocked up above?

The View and Tab buttons expose pop ups that replace the lists of folders, making them available on every page, without requiring one or two back swipes and then one or two click forwards to change to a different view and tab. ...

Yes, I think the pop ups may provide what I'm looking for. It's not clear to me whether the pop ups provide a way to pick a folder. If they do, then that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Sun May 02, 2010 3:01 pm
well, I am not Ethan, he will make as he imagines, but as I imagine the mock up, you would select the filter view with the left button and then the right list would pop up with a list of your folders, this makes switching between folders just a matter of selecting the tab button and selecting a different folder. This would b avalible on every screen.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I was away for a few days, but looks like you all were busy with lots of great comments. I really appreciate it.

I will try to implement as many of the recommendations as possible. For sure, the headers will be in the next version. I also like the idea of using popups to allow easy changing between folder, context, duedate, etc views.

However, I'm not sure how the popup choices should interact with previous popup choices and choices made on the filters page (the filters page is necessary for complicated filtering like selecting multiple folders, contexts, etc). For example, if you chose Context->home from the popups, and then chose Folder->myProject from the the popup, should it clear the context selection so that you see all tasks in myProject regardless of context? Similarly, if you selected the "home" context from the filters page, then chose a folder from a popup, should it clear the "home" context selection? Should I just try to mirror toodledo.com where the only selections that persist are those listed under "filters": contexts, hide future, hide deferred, etc.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions - keep them coming and I'll try to make them happen.

-Ethan

Wed May 05, 2010 4:27 pm
Good question,

At first blush I would say that nothing persists. But I don't really use them that much. As long as the view popup has "saved" in it and I can select from my saved views in the tab popup, I will not ever use the filtering for navigation.

Having said that, sorting is a bit different, I would like to select "folders" from the view and have a list of folders in the tab pop up. When I select the folder, I want it to display with an active sort on tags, so that the tasks are listed with tag headers.

However it is done in toodledo seems to be working for me, so you probably won't go wrong copying how they do it.

Good luck!

Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 pm
I like primarily using filters. I use status and contexts and it allows me to filter for "@home" and "Next action". It helps to reduce my clutter of future actions I am waiting on.

For me the best option would be to make a quick "view" option that only allows you to switch through your saved filter views. That way you can set it up as you want. It makes it very flexible and does not create any problems between that button and the filters. The only downside is that it does take a couple of minutes to setup initially. But in many ways it would be easier to use than Toodledo.com itself.

Another option would be to make the filter button bring up a popup list of different saved filters with the last entry being "New Filter." Keeps the UI clutter down.

Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 am
I like the dividers in the mockup much, much, much better than the method of listing the sort criteria in every todo item. That way, the eye just has to scan for the divider, instead iof scanning every item (which, if you think about it, is what a sort indicator is meant to avoid).

Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 pm

John: Point taken. :-) I will switch to the headers soon.

Andrew: Also good points. I am trying to think about how to balance the different needs people have: (1) Quick flipping between different folders/contexts/etc, (2) ability to do more complicated filtering, and (3) ability to save/load favorite sorts/filters. I think a button to select what type of choice you want to make (folder, context, due date, saved view) and a second button to select the actual choice (per japomani's mockup) makes sense. Like you point out, though, there would then be 5 buttons along the bottom: new task, view mode, view selection, sort, and filter. I could move the sort and filter buttons into the app menu, but that menu is already fairly long.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm