It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

saved searches 
Post saved searches
I just discovered saved searches in toodledo and they are awsome! I imagine that is what you are planning for saved filters. I can't wait! Thanks for your hard work.

I don't suppose you could just pull the filter settings from the web app?

If you want to do beta testing I will volunteer. I am not currently using your app because it is easier for me to see what I want to see on the web app. But I would prefer to do it on my pre and would like to help you move things forward.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 am

Post Re: saved searches
Japomani: Try out the saved views in the new version (0.4.1) A saved view in toodler saves both your filters and any active sorting. Let me know if you can think of any way to make it better. Unfortunately, Toodledo does not make the saved searches from the website available for apps to use, as far as I know. If they change that, I'd support it in Toodler.

I appreciate the offer to test for me and your recommendations so far have been really helpful! You say it is easier to see what you want to see on the web app; what changes in Toodler would make it easier to see what you want to see in the app? (I know you don't like the current setup where you have to go through 1 or 2 screens to get to tasks, which I'm thinking of changing, but is there anything else?)

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:04 pm

A really minor issue, but sort of annoying. When I first launch the app and have to enter Toodledo login info, the password field is focused rather than the username field. You should be able to easily fix this by setting autofocus: true in the attributes of the username textfield (and not in the password textfield).

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll correct it in the next version.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 am
I really like the saved searches, though they are a bit too limited at this point to be too useful for me.

Specifically, I have about 7 folders. One of them has lots of repeating tasks in them that are "sharpening the saw" type activities like "do something nice for my wife", "have one on one time with my kids", "renew the car insurance" etc.

So I create a saved filter that lets me see just those items from that folder for today.

What I can't do in toodler, that I can do in toodledo, is create a saved filter that is all the items that are due today from all the folders BUT my "sharpening the saw" folder.

I like to keep them separate because they are so different in nature.

If I could have three saved folders, and some UI changes I'll talk about, then I would use this tool over the web version

1. All items for today from one specific folder
2. All items for today from all folders except one specific folder
3. All items for tomorrow from all folders except one specific folder

I thought DateBk6 did saved filters best in this regard. For them they had multi select interface to indicate which folders to include in the view.

As far as interface goes, Done! has a pretty good idea, I think it opens to the last view you were using. To change a view, it has two drop down lists placed in the title bar. The first list is like the top row of views found on the toodledo web site (i.e, Main, folder, due date, etc. all the items you have on your first page.) The second drop down list is context sensitive based on what ever is currently selected in the first drop down list. It contains items similar to the tabs in the toodledo website (ie. today, tomorrow, folder names, saved searches, etc, all the things you have on your second page in)

Thus you see what you used last when you first open the program (or perhaps it would be better to do like toodledo website does and allow you to select the view you want as your first page). If you want to change what you are seeing, use to drop down lists to change the view and sub view/tab items.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:27 pm
I have also discovered tags in toodledo, this allows me to do the Franklin Covey style of task management.

I give tasks a tag of either A, B, or C and use the priorities to handle the 1, 2, 3 side of things

Then by sorting by tag I see something like this

A
--------------
task 1
task 2

B
--------------
task 3
task 4
task 5

C
--------------
task 6

Do you think sorting by tags and displaying the sorting header is something toodler can do?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Sorting by tags would be easy to do and I will add it to the next version.

As for your saved search ideas, you should be able to do #1 by going to dueDates->today from the main screen, then going to filters and picking the folder. Then save this view.

For #2 and #3, I could add a filter on the filter page that would allow you to exclude a certain folder. I'm a little worried that this isn't a commonly used function, and I don't want the filters page to get too long, but I'll probably add it.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 pm
Thank you!

As for items 2 and 3 above, the exclude one folder is very narrow. I would recommend just being able to say "include these folders"

That is much more flexible

I could add all but the one I want to exclude.

Others could filter to show just one folder, or maybe 2 or more folders, while not displaying tasks from non included folders.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 pm

How about I make the folder selector in the filters page more like the tag selector (where you can select multiple tags)?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 pm
I think that would work

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 am