It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Toodler Beta 0.4.16 Released 

Post Toodler Beta 0.4.16 Released
Toodler Beta 0.4.16 was just posted and should be available in a few hours. (0.4.15 is the paid app also submitted tonight, which should be available in a few days)

0.4.16 includes the following:

• Ability to view/edit/sort task length. (You're welcome, dvdmon! :-) ) Currently this is entered and displayed in minutes. In a future version I'll have Toodler accept hours:minutes in the field.
  • New buttons at the top of the screen that change based on the selection. The second button disappears if no subView is available. (for example, if you choose "all" or "completed")
  • To make up for the lost UI space due to the top buttons, I took out some of the padding between rows in the task list. Let me know what you think about the size of the rows. Also, due dates are displayed below every task, regardless of what the sort option chosen is. I did this because I think due dates are very important and helpful to see - let me know what you think about this as well.

Next up on the roadmap is background syncing even when the app is closed, and reminders on the phone for tasks with duedates and reminders. These are slightly larger changes, so they will take a few days to implement, but I've already got the basics working in a test version.

Thanks everyone for your continued support!

Wed May 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Post Re: Toodler Beta 0.4.16 Released
4.16 fixed a bug with the selector buttons related to defaulting to the default view, good job

Moving the due date up is awesome

Seems to be a bug in the selector buttons, chose folders, then specific folder, the result in the title was "false"

View names would look better with an upper case first letter

Would you consider reversing the order of the priority drop down list? "Top" should probably be at the top.

Would you consider putting tag above length in the dialogue, I think tags are more commonly used IMO

Would you consider a preference item to hide the stars like Toodledo does? I don't use it and I keep hitting them when I try to check an item off and I feel like they just clutter the interface.

You may have answered this else where, but as for a date picker, I think you can use any javascript date picker, especially if it uses the prototype library. http://www.weboshelp.net/getting-started-with-webos/161-webos-and-the-prototype-javascript-framework

I would prefer if the option was there to hide the due date in specific views for clutter sake. I know when items are due most of the time because I view my items in a "due today" or "due tomorrow" view. When I view my tasks by folder it might be more useful, but not hugely for me.

The pop up views seem to be centered on the page, rather than tied to the button, so, when I choose the "saved view" button, the pop up with my 3 saved views is floating in the middle of the screen and seems a bit disjointed.

I wish the view selection buttons could be shorter so they take less room. are there other styles for the buttons that take up less real estate?

The bottom buttons are a bit in the way, most apps have just two small round buttons in the bottom corners. What if you had the "+" for a new app in one corner and a down arrow in the other corner that exposed the other options like filter, sort, saved view, etc. That way those buttons that are only used 10% of the time would be hidden 90% of the time. See the mock up below.

I think this looks really clean and intuitive. You only have to hit the down arrow once to figure out what it does.

I ripped off the top leather looking area from the stock webOS tasks app. I am not sure that the drop down buttons can even do what I drew, but that is the idea I am going for, they are thinner and look more like drop down box buttons than straight up buttons. That is the style used in the stock tasks app as well, but I don't know if you can join them in that manner without working with the CSS.

I picked green because everyone else is doing yellow and green legal pads are a real thing. I think better would be a high grade scan of actual green legal pad paper so it had some nice looking texture to it.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:21 am

Great additions, and THANK YOU for the length addition! :)

I agree with some of Japomani's suggestions, but not all. I agree that the buttons on top are still a bit big. If there's any way to make them smaller that would be good. I think Japomani has a point with the bottom buttons as well, although again I would rather see graphical icons here. A sort icon could have your standard A->Z and the filter icon could be your standard funnel icon. The plus is fine for adding a task. Hopefully making these graphics instead of buttons will give the effect of being less intrusive and reduce clutter. I think part of this is that the contrast of these black (or nearly) buttons over a very light background, and also the fact that the text on the buttons is fairly small compared to the buttons themselves (lots of padding), that makes them not particularly appealing.

I don't mind having the date displayed, even though (or maybe because) I don't put due dates on most of my tasks.

I also agree about stars, don't use them so don't need them. However, this (and the due date issue) beg another feature request. I'm thinking it would be great to have a "subheader" that you could pick from available fields. I'm thinking this would work great within saved views, but if you implement it there, I suppose you could implement in other views. Or maybe the subhead could just be dependent on a secondary sort? Right now there are sorting headers for the primary sort, which is great. There is nothing to tell you how things are grouped in a secondary sort. You could create secondary (and further) headers, but another way to represent the same information would be to include the values in each task as a subheader as you do duedate. In any case, being able to control that subheader section and also representing secondary sorts are both items that I think would be great to address in an upcoming version.

There seems to be some bug where at some point no tasks are displayed - no matter what view you go to. I haven't tracked down what triggers this, but I'll try to figure it out.

Finally, I just noticed that when I click on a task and it takes me to the edit screen of the task that the items for priority, status, folder, context, and goal are displayed with the value on the left and the field name on the right. This seems backwards to the way I see this (and create this as I'm a web developer) on most web forms, so my preference would be for you to switch this.

Again, thanks for the constant improvements and I can't wait to see the next version, but it's really something that I can use now without any qualms of having some missing feature!

Thu May 13, 2010 7:59 am

Quote:
I think Japomani has a point with the bottom buttons as well, although again I would rather see graphical icons here. A sort icon could have your standard A->Z and the filter icon could be your standard funnel icon. The plus is fine for adding a task. Hopefully making these graphics instead of buttons will give the effect of being less intrusive and reduce clutter.

I think this could work, I prefer the idea of hiding buttons I rarely use, but recognize which buttons a person rarely uses will be a personal decision, and they will all fit in that space if done as round buttons, though I still think less is more here. Most apps have those buttons disappear when they are not being used. Some how the functionality needs to be obvious to new users so they can see what sets this app apart from others. Perhaps they could be grouped and separated in the menu.

As for date and stars being displayed, I think this will be huge point of personal preference. Evidence of that is that every other advanced task manager I have used (agendus, pocket informant, datebk6) gives the user a lot of flexibility here. Even Toodledo allows users to show and hide specific aspects of the program as well.

Here is my suggestion, create two preference options to let the user decide what is displayed, one for the task list display and one for the task info page. Something like this

Task list
D Stars
D Due Date
D Tags
D Time
D Start Date
D Etc.

Task details
D Stars
D Tags
D Due Date
D Etc.

That way the user can decide how much information and clutter is useful to them. Items checked from these options are displayed, those unchecked are not. Keeps things very clean.

Quote:
Finally, I just noticed that when I click on a task and it takes me to the edit screen of the task that the items for priority, status, folder, context, and goal are displayed with the value on the left and the field name on the right. This seems backwards to the way I see this (and create this as I'm a web developer) on most web forms, so my preference would be for you to switch this.

I agree that this feels funny, but that is how the original tasks app does it. I think ethan improves on things with a down arrow indicating that things can be tapped. There isn't a lot of consistency in this area though, the calendar app for example shows icons on the left, and then the word on the right. Being a native English speaker, I think the best option is as dvdmon says, following the convention of the web.

Quote:
Let me know what you think about the size of the rows.

One of the only things that I think the original task app got right is they placed the rows as close together as possible. I like being able to see as many tasks as possible. Makes me wish for a larger screen in fact.

Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 am

I just installed the new beta....synched once.....started it again - no more synch at all......sorry but this problem is boring me absolutely.
Toodler is really a nice and awesome app - but the synch problems are terrible!! Again and again...

Thu May 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Houseband,
Could you provide some more details about the issue to help me resolve it? I and others are not currently having this problem, so it's hard for me to resolve it without more information. Does the spinner come up when you try to sync? Is anything on the screen? Does it stall during the sync, or does it return to the task list but nothing has synced? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? (which shouldn't be necessary, but it seems to have helped some people).

Thank you,
Ethan

Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 pm

I cannot really sort out the reason or situation exactly. I just uninstalled and installed the app again. Now sync works. Is it possible that the reason is in the option of synching at the start?

I set this option originally before Toodler stopped synching at all.

When it stops then nothing happens. I can still see the task list and work with it but in the menĂ¼ nothing happens (even the "about" button does not work).

Thu May 13, 2010 5:46 pm

YES! Thank you! I had not tried this option in a while, and it was causing errors when enabled. I will have an update to the beta out later tonight with a fix for this, and will include it in the next update to the paid app as well. THANK YOU for helping me get to the root of this!

Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 pm