It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Toodler Beta 0.4.12 Released 
Post Re: Toodler Beta 0.4.12 Released
that would work if there was a preference to turn it off. It only takes using the buttons once to figure out how they work

Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 pm

I just want to say this is a really helpful conversation. To weigh in here, I originally wanted the buttons to show the current selections, but if the selection is more than a few characters, the buttons become too big. If I was better at modifying the built in buttons I could take out some of the padding, but I haven't learned how to do that yet.

In the mean time, I think the idea of having the submenu popup whenever the view choice is changed is a great idea. SO, for example, if you had been viewing by duedate, and then you click folders, then your list of folders would popup. From there, you could use the second button to change between folders quickly without having to go back to the first button until you want to change your view category. Even if I implement this, would you still like the buttons to show the current selections (the text would have to be truncated pretty heavily - 5-6 characters each I think)? Or would japomani's suggestion about having two sets of buttons that you can switch between be better? See here

@dvdmon: Length will be implemented very soon. The problem was I realized you can't view or edit the length in Toodler yet, and even though that information is synced so the data is there, I'd like to implement the length stuff all at once. So I will add it to the editTask screen, and will allow it to be used for a sort. Expect this within a day or two.

On editing a saved view, I guess it's not ideal, but I'm not sure of what to change to make it better. I don't want users to have to "close" a saved view before they can change sorts/filters without having to worry about making a change to the last saved view they used. I could make a popup on the save view screen to allow you to choose a saved view to save over - would that help? Any suggestions you have here would be appreciated.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:03 pm

japomani wrote:
that would work if there was a preference to turn it off. It only takes using the buttons once to figure out how they work

But why would you want to turn it off?? I mean it saves the user from having to hit the second button when that is needed, so why wouldn't you want that menu to come up if you needed to specify an additional subitem?? The only reason I can think of is if you DIDN'T need to specify that item, but in that case it could be programmed to not come up and possibly that button could be also made disabled or invisible...

Tue May 11, 2010 3:05 pm
I guess you are right. I was thinking that the popup scenario would be a pain in the case where you select a view, and then you want to see all the tasks in that view. But you would not use a sub view to view all tasks, you would use the "all tasks" main view.

the way toodledo handles it is it defaults to the last sub view you used when you looked at that view. I think that would be a good option.

@ethan - can buttons change width on the fly when the lable changes?

if so, and you used the "stacked" two sets of controls, then you could do less truncating and let the buttons grow as wide as necessary until you ran out of spas on the horizontal.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:25 pm
saved views are great. I think the best way to edit one would be to change the filters and sorts as you like and then have the option to save over the top of an existing view rather than give it a new name.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Perhaps the first time you use each view, it would show the popup immediately, then from then on it would remember which sub-view you were in last? It'll be a tradeoff because if you are going back to the same sub-view, you can save a click if it remembers, but if you wanted to change both the view and go to a new subview, it would be an extra click (four total: click "view", select choice, click "subview", select choice).

On the buttons, I'm actually not even sure if they can be updated at all without reloading the whole scene. I'll have to look into it. webOS takes care of the button sizing automatically, so if I can update the text on the fly, then I assume it'll take care of adjusting the width too.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:44 pm

ethan wrote:
Perhaps the first time you use each view, it would show the popup immediately, then from then on it would remember which sub-view you were in last? It'll be a tradeoff because if you are going back to the same sub-view, you can save a click if it remembers, but if you wanted to change both the view and go to a new subview, it would be an extra click (four total: click "view", select choice, click "subview", select choice).

My hunch is that it would be better to have the second menu/subview selection pop up when needed rather than have it remember. Of course, having an option for each would be nice, but given the choice I'd rather be presented with the info immediately. Again, to me it's more intuitive, whereas just selecting a view you aren't then told (hey, this is ALSO X subview). Of course if you can change the button text on the fly, you would get the feedback from that, so not as big a deal. I guess it comes down to how often you might change that subview. If you are going to change it fairly often (say going from one context to another), then it makes more sense to save a button tap and just have it pop up automatically each time. If however, you are always using the same subview within a given view, having a saved subview would be better. I think that this might be one of those things that's going to depend a lot on the user and how they have their toodledo set up and how they use the different views, and there's just not one best answer for everyone...

Tue May 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Quote:
If however, you are always using the same subview within a given view, having a saved subview would be better. I think that this might be one of those things that's going to depend a lot on the user and how they have their toodledo set up and how they use the different views, and there's just not one best answer for everyone...

I agree, as I think about it, I will hopping back and forth between saved views most of the time. I will be also cycle through my folders as well once a week to review all my tasks and plan my week. That is about all the interactions I think I will have.

So for me, I don't think I will use the second button pop up much at all.

But for me, I can see that a new, non technical user, would really like the pop up to indicate how to change views, at least the first few times.

But I am just guessing there.

Wed May 12, 2010 12:14 am

Post STILL SYNCHING ISSUES!!!!
I now work as well with the paid app as also with the beta 4.13 - and again, again and again I am able to synch for 10 times maximum and then nothing more happens.

I try to use this software professional - I organise not only myself but also my whole department with Toodledo and use therefore Toodler as a really great app for my PRE. But it should work more reliable in this chase!!

Wed May 12, 2010 7:28 am

Houseband,
Thanks for posting. I'd really like to be able to track down this bug, so any additional info you can provide about it would be helpful. I know the paid app has this problem, but for me, the beta does not anymore. Do you have Toodler set to autoSync every hour through the preferences? When it stops working, what exactly happens? Is the spinner still spinning? Is there any text on the screen? Approximately how many tasks do you have?

Thank you!
Ethan

Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am