It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Toodler Beta 0.4.12 Released 

Post Toodler Beta 0.4.12 Released
Toodler Beta 0.4.12 was just submitted and should be available in an hour or two here.

0.4.12 extends the beta to 5/24. This version contains a major overhaul of the sync process, which should now be more reliable. I believe the bug causing syncing to stop working after several hours has been fixed. Repeating tasks are now rescheduled correctly on the first sync.

The sync process can handle and has been tested with 1000 tasks on the initial sync. If you have more tasks than that, there is an issue because toodledo.com by default only responds with the first 1000 tasks. I will work on this for the next version.

I have implemented a few more buttons on the task list to allow quick switching between views. Please try it out and let me know what you think. Access to the filters page has been moved into the app menu. Note that some filters, such as hiding future tasks and -1 priority tasks, are only cleared through the filters page. Simply changing views on the tasks page will not clear those filters.

I have requested that the paid app be suspended due to all the syncing issues, but Palm has not approved the suspension yet. If you have purchased the app and are unable to use it due to the bugs, I sincerely apologize. In the meantime, beta 0.4.12 is available and should be more functional. Once beta testing shows the new version to be stable, I will update the paid app.

Thank you all for your contributions and patience!

-Ethan

Mon May 10, 2010 2:10 am
Post Re: Toodler Beta 0.4.12 Released
The Synch with the new Beta works better than with the paid app.
But I discovered that when I synch a task that was creasted on the PRE to the Desktop (web) then the task looses its Context. It is synched with "no context" although it HAS a context on the PRE.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:49 am

Yikes - thanks for catching that. I was so focused on making sure all tasks sync that I didn't check each of the fields.

Beta version 0.4.13 was just posted, which fixes this bug. It also fixes a bug in handling timezones for those not on Eastern time, and a bug involving deleting tasks on the Pre. It should be available in an hour or two.

Mon May 10, 2010 3:19 pm
Post Looking Good
I like the new buttons, works great.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 am

Looks good so far, although there are a couple of things I want to point out:

1) Time Length is still not one of the things you can sort by. You had said that was very easy to add, so I wanted to remind you again just in case it slipped through the cracks ;-)

2) I figured out how to navigate to different tabs/views, although I'm not sure that having to select something from one menu, then another is all that intuitive, and it involves a bit more steps than I'd like. I'm not sure if there's a very good solution. I'd previously not realized that the different areas or views you can filter by are really kind of two levels of categorization (ie Statuses/Next Action, Contexts/@Home, Views/My Special View, etc.). I'm wondering if it might be a little more intuitive to have just one menu that cascades out. IE:

Contexts
- - @Home
- - @Work
- - @Out
Status
- - Next Action
- - Delegate
- - Postponed
Views
- - My View A
- - My View B
- - My View C

I realize this might get long and you'd have to scroll through the menu a bit, but at least for me it's a bit more intuitive to have it laid out in one menu. There of course might be an even more elegant way of doing this, but for now it escapes me.

3) It would be useful to have a way to have a more purposeful view edit mode. Right now it seems you can create a view and if you want to edit it, you first go to it, then you can sort or refilter or whatever, then when you are done, you go to save view and then name it. So in essence if you rename it the same thing it overwrites the old one. It works ok, but again, not ideal. It's probably something you already recognize and have plans to streamline in the future, but I thought I'd raise it just in case.

Again, thanks for all the work and quick updates!

Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 am
@dvdmon - I don't think the one menu idea is very practical. There are 26 menu items in the toodledo interface, before adding folders, tags, and saved views. There could easily be 40+ menu items in that list, which is too many. Toodledo handles it by giving you "View" options and then "Tab" options within each view, breaking the menus into a two tiered system that limits your choices to 8 or so links at a time. That is hard to replicate on a mobile screen that is small.

Perhaps there is something that can be done visually to clarify that one is the subset of the other. One idea is to update the button labels so that they reflect what is being shown. Like "Folders" "Work" or "Due Date" "Today".

The way toodledo handles editing a saved view is that it make the changes and save it as the same name as the previous settings. I am not sure that is most elegant though.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 am

japomani wrote:
@dvdmon - I don't think the one menu idea is very practical. There are 26 menu items in the toodledo interface, before adding folders, tags, and saved views. There could easily be 40+ menu items in that list, which is too many. Toodledo handles it by giving you "View" options and then "Tab" options within each view, breaking the menus into a two tiered system that limits your choices to 8 or so links at a time. That is hard to replicate on a mobile screen that is small.

Perhaps there is something that can be done visually to clarify that one is the subset of the other. One idea is to update the button labels so that they reflect what is being shown. Like "Folders" "Work" or "Due Date" "Today".

Yeah, at the very least the button names are not particularly descriptive, although I'm not sure icons would be much better. The problem is there's no feedback when you pick something from view that you ALSO need to pick something from the other ("Choice") menu, or that if you select the choice menu that you know where you are in the broader scheme of things - maybe there should be a menu header that says "Views" or "Contexts" or something?

As far as having one long menu, what about a collapsed menu? I don't know how doable it is with the UI elements in the SDK, but you could potentially have all the top-level views/tabs listed and if you clicked on one it would then make visible the individual elements underneath it? Just a thought. Not sure if it would save a lot of clicking, but some, and it would be a bit more intuitive.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 am

@Japomani, sorry, didn't read through your entire post, but yeah, I think having the button text change might be the most elegant at this point, but there still needs to be some feedback to let folks know that they need to select things from BOTH menus.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 am
i agree that would help, not sure what though

Maybe labeling them "1st choice" "2nd choice"

Pretty ugly, I know

Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

jaopmani wrote:
i agree that would help, not sure what though

Maybe labeling them "1st choice" "2nd choice"

Pretty ugly, I know

Well, I DO think your idea of having the buttons show what is selected is the best option so far. If you didn't have a default view that was selected, you could just default the button to "All" I suppose. Perhaps for the selections that don't require subselections (like All), the second button could either be grayed out/disabled, or even not visible.

How about this for feedback: when a user picks something from the first menu, say "Saved Views," the menu goes away (as it does currently), but then the second menu actually pops up with the relavent sub items, forcing the user to make a selection? Again, if there are no subitems, then no menu pops up and the view is changed immediately upon the first menu's selection?

Tue May 11, 2010 1:01 pm