It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Status Update on Toodler - 5/6/10 

Post Status Update on Toodler - 5/6/10
Hi all,
A lot has been happening with Toodler, and since I was away for a few days, I wanted to post here to clear up any confusion on what's going on with Toodler.

First, the beta is still available. It has a new name ("Toodler Beta"), so it has a new link on precentral. It is currently set to expire on 5/10, but I will extend that in a an update soon.

Second, a paid app is in the app catalog called Toodler2. Palm won't let me name my paid app "Toodler" since my beta was called that and it would cause a name conflict. I will probably change the name to "Toodler Task Manager" or something like that.

The reason I didn't advertise the launch of the paid app is that fairly quickly I realized there is a nasty bug preventing syncing anytime toodledo.com asks for reauthentication, which is usually after a few hours. The only workaround in that version is to select "change account info" which means you lose any local changes you have made and not synced. I have fixed the issue, and submitted the new version, but paid apps have to be reviewed and the new version is not up yet. I'd expect it tomorrow or the day after. I am also aware that there are some issues syncing with a long list of tasks, so I'm going to be doing some work to clean up the sync process, as that is obviously key functionality.

In terms of the interface, the main screen has been removed in favor of a popup system similar to what japmani and others have suggested in this thread. I realize that in the interim that leaves only the filters page, which is less than ideal. I hope to have the new system up quickly. A new beta with some changes should be out today or tomorrow.

A big THANK YOU to all who have been reporting bugs and suggesting ideas - they have been really helpful. Keep it coming!

-Ethan

Thu May 06, 2010 8:56 am
Post Re: Status Update on Toodler - 5/6/10
Hope that the synch works with the new version. I bought it already.

Isn't it a bit early to release a paid version although such bugs are still not solved?
In a paid version I rely on the functionality of the software (so me) and I now fear to loose my entries that I made on the Pre.

Although Toodler is the best PRE-app for synch with Toodledo this is something I am not really happy with.

Thu May 06, 2010 11:06 am

I agree that the bug preventing syncing is unacceptable - but it just popped up due a to a small change at the last minute, and should be fixed in a day or so when the new version is approved by Palm. If I had known about the bug, I would not have released it.

The other issues with syncing only seem to occur with several hundred tasks. I did testing with 200 tasks and didn't have problems, but I know others are having issues. This will be fixed ASAP as I know it is a key issue.

Thu May 06, 2010 3:54 pm
Hi Ethan,

the update is available today in the App Catalog. It works great again. Synch is no problem any more.
Unfortunately all my saved views were gone after the update. Maybe there is an option for improvement in this?

Toodler is an absolutely great app - cannot imagine how I organised myself before.....

Fri May 07, 2010 2:23 am

So I'm guessing that views are generally saved but that they are saved seperately for the beta and the standard version, and that when a version changes names that this resets everything as well, but it should just when updating the version number, so this seems like maybe a bug? Would be nice to know that views that we've taken time to construct and save won't be blown away when we update...

Fri May 07, 2010 8:50 am

Views are saved separately for the beta and the paid app. A name change for the app won't affect this, only a change to the appid would, and I don't plan on ever changing those. (com.wozware.toodler for the beta and com.wozware.toodlerpro for the paid app) Normal updates will not remove saved views. However, if I make changes to the content or method through which saved views are stored, this may require deleting the saved views you have. That said, I think the way they are stored right now is fairly complete, and I don't anticipate any changes in that regard that would require removing saved views in the short or medium term.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:45 am
Hi Ethan

I still have issues on synching. Seems that the button "Synch now" does not work really.
When tap on it - nothing happens.

I use the paid version with update from today.

Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm

I had the same problem with the update, but uninstalling the app and reinstalling fixed it for me and things worked after that. Could you try that and let me know if that solves the problem? (If you have any changes you made on the phone that weren't sync'ed, they will be lost by uninstalling, so you could try to leave the app open for an hour to let it sync in the background. I apologize for this.)

Fri May 07, 2010 1:47 pm
Hi,
I have version 0.4.11 and after upgrading from version 0.4.9, it would not sync. The app would report sync started but no sync completed and trying to select other functions such as about Toodler2 would be ignored. I followed the advice and uninstalled the app and reinstalled. It worked for awhile and now I have the same problem of it not syncing. Another uninstall and reinstall fixed it. For a paid app, the basic functionality should work better than this.

Sat May 08, 2010 12:15 pm
Unfortunately I have the same experience meanwhile. The synch does not work. It shows in the start of the app that it would synch but does nothing at all.

Other functions are not usable.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:40 am