It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Toodler Beta 0.4.7 Released 

Post Toodler Beta 0.4.7 Released
Toodler Beta 0.4.7 was just submitted to the app catalog, and should be available in an hour or two. This extends the expiration date to May 12, 2010. The new version also remembers what view you were in last when starting up, and allows multiple selection of most of the filters. Finally, when sorting, relevant information is displayed in the task list.

Again, I apologize for the downtime when Toodler was unavailable.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 am

Post Re: Toodler Beta 0.4.7 Released
Hi, this is my first time trying to use your saved views feature but I can't seem to figure out how to add one. Is there a hotkey or something? I'm not seeing a way. Thanks for any help!

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:45 am

Sorry, didn't realize that you needed to go into a particular "view" then do a save. Ok, so you probably know this already, but it seems to only be able to save one of the filters. I can filter a bunch of things initially and it will do that (although it seemingly won't display subtasks that should show), but going out of that view and then back in, only one of those filters remain set.

Looking forward to seeing multiple filter saves :)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:16 am

Hi - thanks for your posts. There may be a few bugs in there because I wanted to get the app submitted asap. However, saved views are supposed to save all of your filters and sorts, including those that come from selecting a certain category (like a folder) from the main screen. It was working before, but I'll have to look to see if there is a bug this evening.

Also, whenever you go back to the main screen, all of your filters relating to folders, goals, contexts, priorities, statuses, and tags are reset. So you should only go back to the main screen if you want to clear those things. Otherwise, you can just click the filters button to tweak what you're seeing. Filters for hiding negative priority or future tasks should not be reset at the main screen, but I should check that to make sure. (Note that for Toodler going to a folder through the main screen is the same as setting a filter for the folder through the filters page. I know that Toodledo.com makes a distinction between views and filters, but I think people like the flexibility of using folders, contexts, goals, etc as filters so that you can select multiple).

In terms of subtasks, the subtask will only show up if it has the property that you're filtering for. For example, if it is in the folder that you've filtered for. I realize this is different than how Toodledo.com does it (toodledo.com will show the task as long as the parent has the property you're filtering for), and I will try to fix it at some point.

Let me know what you think about all this! Thanks!

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 pm
Ok, maybe I misunderstood what was happeneing. I thought for one that a saved view was really saved to the device, but it looks like for now it's just saved to memory? Second, when I went to the saved view, I clicked on filters and assumed that this would somehow change the filters within the view, but what I see now is that filters are global and not attached speicifically to the saved view.

So, my questions are:

a) do you plan to make the saved views as a permanently saved item that will exist between sessions, etc.?

b) will the saved views encorporate not just the view itself (ie context = @work), but also any and all filters and sorting even?

What I'm getting at with b is basically a replication of what Toodeldo does on the web called Searches. It would of course be a whole lot easier if they'd just add that to the API, I know, but from what I recall, the Saved Views was an attempt to get around that, so I'm hoping that the changes above will come, since without those it doesn't really add a lot.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to evolve the app!

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:08 pm

By the way, Guest above is me, just didn't realize that I wasn't logged in and the forum didn't complain...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Sorry for the confusion - hopefully the new version (0.4.9, just submitted will clear things up). Looks like you were experiencing some bugs in 0.4.7.

I have removed the main scene and the category scenes, so that now everything must be done form the task list and through the filters and sorts scenes. A saved view is a "snapshot" of the currently active filters and sorts. Let say you are in the task list, and filter for context "home" and then save the view as "myHome." Then you add another filter for goal "get a car". If you then load the "myHome" view from the app menu, the only active filter will be for context="home" because that was the only one that was active when you clicked save view. If you want to make a change to a saved view, you can load the view, change your sorts and filters, then click save view and give the view the same name and it will overwrite the old one.

Saved views should be saved even when the app is closed - but there was a bug in 0.4.7 that broke this for a while.

Hope this helps - let me know what you think of 0.4.9.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 am

Ok, looks like it's working now in 0.4.9. I will say, though, that I actually miss the main category screen, although I think given the choice I would suggest having a "start with x view" option, or even an ever-present bar of some sort that would let you switch between views as needed without having to swipe the top menu - you know kind of like how Twee lets you change from your main timeline to mentions, to direct messages, etc.

But anyway, the core functionality is there and looks like it works great, so thank you thank you thank you! Definitely a great tool if you use Toodledo, I'm going to tweet it up and mention the views being a great workaround to the lack of saved searches in the API. I'd definitely pay for this app if/when it goes to the non-beta app catalog. Wish I'd had the time and energy to develop (or at least help develop) this app, as it is one where I would have a lot of passion to refine out, but you've done a great job so far!

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!

0.4.10 is available now that has a preference item for picking the starting view.

I like the idea of making views easier to switch between. I could add a button to the sort and filter button group that creates a popup with a list of saved views. Would that be kind of what you are thinking?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Wow, that was really fast! The only problem is that when I choose Preferences from the menu, it just goes back to my list of tasks. In fact, the same thing happens when I choose Change Account Info, About Toodler Beta, Sync Now, or Help. Save and Load Views (and Edit) seem to be the only menu items working for me with .10...

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm